Kelleher received an Artium Baccalaureus degree in 1935 from Williams College and a Juris Doctor in 1938 from Harvard Law School. He was a trial attorney for the United States Trucking Company in New York City from 1939 to 1940. He was an associate attorney for the United States Department of the Army in Los Angeles, California from 1941 to 1942. He served in the United States Naval Reserve from 1943 to 1945. He was in private practice in Santa Monica, California from 1945 to 1948. He was an Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of California from 1948 to 1951. He was in private practice in Beverly Hills, California from 1951 to 1971.
In 1970, he became a U.S. District Court Judge.
Beginning his distinguished career in tennis as a ball boy at Forest Hills, Kelleher was the New England Intercollegiate Doubles Champion in 1933 and won the Eastern Collegiate Doubles the same year. He won the Canadian mixed doubles championship in 1947 with his wife Gracyn Wheeler Kelleher. Kelleher would serve as assistant referee of the U.S. Championships and later usher in the advent of “Open Tennis” as USLTA President. As the principal USLTA delegate to the ILTF, Kelleher, along with Herman David and Derek Hardwick, was instrumental in making “Open Tennis” a reality in 1968. Thereafter, Kelleher participated extensively in USLTA and Southern California Tennis Association activities.
Prior to his presidency, major tennis tournaments were closed to professional players and prize money was not offered. Kelleher was instrumental in changing this system, thus allowing anyone to play and instituting legitimate prize money in tournaments.
Kelleher was the U.S. Davis Cup Captain in 1962–63 (winning in 1963). He was a three-time U.S. Hard Court 45s doubles champion.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *