Curt Bergmann was the son of Bruno Bergmann, founder and owner of Feinseifen- und Parfümfabrik Bergmann & Co., a company that manufactured medical, household and children’s soaps as well additional cosmetics. It was originally based in Dresden before its move to an industrial estate in Radebeul, also in Saxony, in 1890. The company was known by its symbol of a hobby horse and was a Hoflieferant, or supplier of products to royalty. By the 1920s the company employed more than 200 people in Radebeul alone, and had opened branches in Belgium, Czechoslovakia, the Netherlands, Poland and Switzerland.
In September 1918, Curt Bergmann married Gertrud Hedwig Zschetsche in the Lukaskirche (Saint Luke’s Church) in Dresden. They would have two children together, a girl named Eva and a boy called Heinz. Curt Bergmann worked for the family business for many years (his father, Bruno, died in 1929). Because of such commitments he wasn’t able to devote as much time to tennis as he would have liked and probably didn’t really fulfil his potential at the sport.
After the Second World War, when the communists came to power in the new East Germany, the Bergmann family company was expropriated and its name changed. Curt Bergmann contributed greatly to the revival of the sport of tennis in Saxony in the years immediately after 1945, but later moved with his family to West Germany.
Your email address will not be published.